A Simple Embellished Lapgan

 

A Simple Embellished Lapgan

Regular Granny Square Follow Here:

But Use The N Crochet Hook


Project Supplies
N Crochet Hook
Yarn Needle
Matching Thread
13 Beads or Buttons
Small Crochet Hook 
(To Hide Short Threads) 
Double Crochet - Single Crochet
Easy
 I used # 4 weight yarn.
32 Squares

for Smaller One
18 Squares


Yarn 
Any regular yarn this color will work

8 double squares in this color



8 double squares in Reef
Multicolor Red Heart - Reef   
Follow Here: To Find This Multicolored Yarn Called Reef.


THE SQUARE

This easy lapgan is double thick and made with the traditional 
granny square. 

I'm making this lapgan, this way because anyone who is in a wheelchair 
needs a smaller blanket to set over their lap.  

The granny squares have 5 rows then 1 more additional row to put them together.

Double-Layered Granny Square.  This is just putting two regular 
granny squares together then adding an additional row 
to sew them together. 

I have doubled my granny squares by making two and then holding the two together,
then single crochet them together all the way around the squares.  
You need to make 16 double squares.  Use a yarn needle to stitch all the squares
together into a four by four shape. 

THE FLOWER PEDALS

Make 16 flowers to embellish the lapgan.  I plan on sewing beads onto each flower.
The " Sweet Roll" comes in multi-colored yarns that look nice together.  You'll see my flowers sometimes have a small section of mint pedals on a flower with mostly teal pedals.
I chose to leave it in the order the yarn came from rather than to cut the yarn but then I decided to cut the differing colors and to roll each color into a ball.  I decided I like it better if they are all one color.


Below mixed teal, blue raspberry, mint, 






THE CENTER OF THE FLOWER

Dark brown and light brown.
Two threads from the dark brown skein and two from the light brown.
You'll be crocheting from both ends at the same time.  You will be using the same crochet hook throughout the whole project.


Red Heart Colors - Light Brown = Cafe and Dark Brown = Coffee


I will add to this post when I have further info and pictures.
I will include all the instructions for the applique as soon as I finish.

Flower Applique




Red Heart - The Center - Bulky Center.

1. Ch 5
2. Ss in the first stitch into the top stitches making a ring.
3. Ch 3 turn.
4. Double crochet all the way around 11 times. There should be 12 dc counting the chain 3 as a dc.
5. Ss closed at the top of the beginning chain 3.
---
Sweet Roll - Pedals

1. Connect one thread to the top of the brown center ch 3.*  
2. Dc 5 ch 3 from the top, then bring it down and slip stitch it right beside the 5th dc.
3.  The first group of stitches should have 7 dc - counting the first ch 3 and the last chain 3 as dc.
4. Ss into the next top stitches.  chain 3 continue at *  until you have pedals all the way around.
---

1. Make 13  Flowers - 
(12 pedals on each flower)
2. If you end up with 11 or 13 pedals - It still looks the same so don't worry about it.
3. Find a matching thread and a regular needle with a small eye. Sew on your beads. ( I'll be adding the picture later.) optional
4. Arrange your appliques and pin them temporarily.
5.  Sew each applique onto the lapgan with a yarn needle and yarn that matches.  Be careful not to sew the pedals down flat.

Finishing Your Work 

I have sown with matching yarn all the squares together.
Each row consists of four squares.  So make four rows of four squares - then sew
all the rows together. 

Trim 

dc twice ch 3 in each stitch all the way around the lagan with color: Reef -  Red Heart yarn.
If you prefer to use teal then use teal.  I may sew beads onto the edge. I will post more later as I complete my project.

I have gone all the way around the lapgan with the trim.
Then I arranged the applique flowers.  (below)

I have sown them down
with matching yarn and a yarn needle.
I decided I would use 13 appliques
rather than 16.

Now I have to hide all my yarn threads
by weaving them into 
the lapgan.  
  
I weave in around one inch - then back one inch 
very close - then weave in around one inch and
 back one inch very close until your end is hidden. 


  

I will post more pictures later.
This has taken me longer than it would have because 
I'm busy with Christmas.  Have a Merry Christmas
if I do not post before then.  

I'm still considering sewing beads on.
I purchased some larger glass beads.

13 Largest Glass Beads - One On Each Flower.
I purchased these beads at Michaels Craft Store.
I bought 5 strands to get the number of largest beads I needed.
You will have some largest beads leftover plus 
all the smaller ones.





To sew on these beads use matching thread 
and a regular needle. I do not tie a knot yet, leave around 1 and 1half  to 2 inches of thread out rather than tieing a knot.  Keep the thread doubled.
Sew from right to left of the bead.  
*With your needle grab yarn one-fourth inch from the entrance. Then go through the bead going out
the exit and grab one-fourth of yarn then pull upwards on the needle and thread.  Work the thread under the bead.  Then bring the needle back to the entrance and repeat *   2X.
Now wrap the thread around the bead edges pull securely 2X.  Then make a small stitch just under the entrance 3X layer. Take your needle through the last loop to knot it.  This is to secure it.  You should see no threads.  Now use the jewel glue under the bead.  Use the back of your yarn needle to apply the glue then clean your needle. Put pressure onto the bead for a few seconds.  Move onto the next bead.
 





Make sure to weave in strings on both the back and the front
if some are too short to weave in pull them in with your crochet hook.

I spent around $24.00 on the beads - I still have leftovers.
I spent around $45.00 on the yarn.
It is a double-layered lapgan.
Looks like I have one more string of yarn to weave in.

Have a Wonderful Christmas!


You can use any of my crochet instructions.  
If you have any questions please send me an email with 
any questions concerning this crochet project.  







Susan Nikitenko © 2021



 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt/ And other Zipper Crafts Zipper crafts

Grandmas Blankets